Panasonic just unveiled its new Lumix DC-ZS70. Find out everything you need to know about this camera today in our review.
What Is Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70?
The Lumix DC-ZS70 is Panasonic’s newest camera. The “Travel Zoom” compact camera is designed to provide high-quality photograph for people on-the-go.
The camera features a 20.3-megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor capable of shooting 4K video. The front of the camera has a 24mm ultra wide-angle lens with 30x optical zoom.
The camera has a MSRP of $449.99 USD. It will launch in May 2017.
The Lumix DC-ZS70 builds off the success of 2016’s Panasonic ZS60, which was their original offering for compact travel zoom fans. With the new and improved version, Panasonic has redesigned the body and added a number of new features.
The most noticeable difference is the addition of a rotating display, letting you easily shoot selfies while adjusting your framing and pose. This makes the camera slightly larger and heavier, but vastly enhances its functionality for the selfie crowd.
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Tech Specs & Features
- Resolution:30 megapixels
- Sensor Size: 1/2.3 inch (6.2mm x 4.6mm)
- Lens:00x zoom (24-720mm equivalent)
- Viewfinder: EVF/LCD
- Native ISO: 80 – 3200
- Extended ISO: 80 – 6400
- Shutter: 1/16000 – 30 seconds
- Max Aperture:3
- Dimensions:4 x 2.6 x 1.6 in (112 x 67 x 41mm)
- Weight:4 oz (322g)
The camera integrates many features that should appeal to the selfie shooter crowd. When you turn the camera around, you’ll see a 3-inch, 180-degree tilting LCD screen with 1.04 million dots.
As Panasonic explained in their initial press release, this feature “allows users to enjoy a variety of selfie shots including 4K selfies and panoramic selfies”.
Other key features on the camera include 4K Photos (producing 8MP stills at 30fps), Post Focus (letting you select the focus point after shooting), Focus Stacking, autofocus speeds of 0.1 seconds, 10fps burst mode, a Control Ring on the lens barrel, RAW photos, Wi-Fi, and 5-axis hybrid optical image stabilization.
The Wi-Fi, like with other Panasonic models, will let you get photos onto your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Versus ZS60
The Lumix DC-ZS70 is an improvement on the original ZS60, released last year. Some of the key differences between the two cameras include:
- Linear resolution is slightly higher (just under 6% improvement; final image dimensions are 5,184×3888 on the DC-ZS70 compared to 4896×3672 pixels on the original)
- Slight reduction in performance and increase in noise levels (caused by the slightly higher resolution)
- Reduced shutter speed in the longest shutter speed (Artistic Nightscape drops from 60 seconds to just 30 seconds in the ZX70)
- The ZS60’s ultra-swift 40fps super-high-speed capture mode when shooting with electronic shutter has been removed
- A selfie mode has been added, allowing the ZS70’s 3.0-inch touchscreen to flip upward 180 degrees, letting you shoot selfies from in front of the lens while still previewing your framing and pose
- The ZS70 is slightly larger because of the added selfie mode; height and depth are both about 0.1 inches larger than the ZS60, and the weight is slightly heavier (1.4 ounces heavier)
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Pricing & Release Date
The Lumix DC-ZS70 is priced at $449.99 USD.
It will be released in May 2017. Panasonic hasn’t given us an exact date, but most reports online indicate that it will be released in late May.